Monday, March 2, 2015

Run Eighteen: 3.8 miles per hour...for a while at least

That distance represents 34 minutes of walking,
instead of 33.
There was a math fail. 
My plan for today's run was to push my pace a bit, since I was pretty confident that I'd be able to do two ten minute running intervals. My intention was to raise the speed on the treadmill whenever I bumped into the front of it and slow it down if I started being unable to keep up. 

I tried to follow my plan at first and spent the first five minutes of the first running interval at around 3.8 miles per hour. Then I could feel that I was working really hard and breathing hard in a way that I wasn't going to be able to sustain for 5 more minutes. So I slowed back down to 3.5 mph for the rest of my running intervals. 

(Also, my heart rate was in what theoretically ought to be an anaerobic zone for almost all of those five minutes, which is apparently not supposed to be possible. I figured that I really shouldn't push it any harder than that. Clearly, either I'm not understanding something about this heart rate business or my body is weird.  Or both.) 

Anyway, I did wind out running for 5 minutes at Faster Than I Thought I Could Sustain  and I did run for all of the running intervals. So I'm not at all displeased. 

I'm starting to get a little bit bored on the treadmill -- music isn't totally transporting me any longer (though that may be because my earbuds and I don't get along very well) and looking at stuff on silent TV screens is losing what thrill it ever had. You  know it's bad when I sort of miss "Little Women: LA". I'm looking forward to getting back outside at some point. 

Unfortunately, some point is not going to be my next run. The weather on Wednesday is supposed to be rainy. Then cold and snowy. Ugh. 

Next run is  scheduled for Wednesday. The Week 6, Run 3 program is a 22 minute run, with no breaks. Goal for the run -- do that, end strong, do as much as possible at 3.5 mph. 

No comments:

Post a Comment