Monday, September 14, 2015

Workout C # 5: Took a couple of days to recover... (Workout 23)

This was a tough workout -- felt great at the time, but kind of
run over the day after. :D 
Patrick and I worked out Saturday morning first thing, before breakfast even, though we did have a snack to get some carbs into our systems and available for energy.

I worked hard during this workout -- kept my heart rate up the whole time and put a lot of strain on my quads. And pretty much every other part. Workout C is my killer right now -- D seems a little easier. The Coordination Rows are difficult, but I don't *exert* really. (I'm too busy wobbling and trying not to fall.) Workout C is all exertion all the time. 

I did fine with everything *except* the second to last Deadlift in the last set. I didn't have any problem lifting the weight (which is really all quads and glutes), but setting the dumbbells back down I let my form slip just a tad and tweaked my lower back on one side. It wasn't enough to stop me doing my last rep and I didn't have any trouble setting them down the last time. Or putting them away. Or getting through most of the day. But by the end of the day (in which we ran a million errands and went to a mall and so on), my back was just *stiff* and sore. Like I'd slept on it badly. 

Sunday I felt kind of stiff and sore all over -- not just my back (and not at all localized to the bit that had barked at me when setting those dumbbells down) but really everywhere. Which didn't do a lot for my motivation to post (that and being awfully busy) or for my motivation to figure out Workouts E and F which are really coming up quickly -- I start them in a week. 

Anyway, Saturday's workout was: 
  • Side Plank - 2 x 40 - I'm definitely getting stronger at these. I can feel that while I'm doing them even, though the last few seconds are crazy hard. I need to remember to keep my body straight and firm while I'm holding the side plank position, but otherwise, I'm pleased with how these are going. 
  • Jump Squats - 2 x 10 - I held 10 lb dumbbells while I was doing these this time, because they have started seeming a bit easy with just my body weight. I also did more -- 10 rather than 8 each set -- and between the weight and the additional reps I was really working hard on these. Yay! 
  • Alternating sets of:
    • Reverse Lunges - 3 x 10 - I did these with a pair of 30 lb dumbbells. If I remember right that was my second time at that weight -- the first time I had to take big breaks between the left and right sides in each set, which is not optimal. I didn't have to take those breaks on Saturday, so I did better.  I think I've managed to deal with the quad issue that had me struggling with lunges/split squats for a while. I made my reps, but I'm still going to stick with the 30 lb weights next time, because I don't really feel ready to go up to 35lb dumbbells. Also, it's convenient having the same weight for these and the rows. 
    • 3-point Rows - 3 x 10 - I used a 30 lb weight. I remembered what I learned last time -- that I do better if I work my left side first, then the right. It doesn't make a lot of sense, but it is consistent. I'm planning to stick with the same weight next time -- these are still really hard and I don't want to go up too quickly. 
  • Alternating sets of: 
    • Deadlifts - 3 x 10 - I mentioned above that I used a pair of 40lb dumbbells, which were a good, hard, heavy weight for it, but very doable. These really are all quads and glutes and a little bit of upper back just to finish strong and proud I do need to be careful to protect my back, though, when I do these again. I need to remember to keep my quads carrying the load as I set them down.
    • Pushups (I forgot the added "Plus" of the push upwards at the end) - 3 x 10, 9, 9 - I'm still working on the windowsill and not making my reps, so I'm clearly working at the right level. I think the "Plus" actually makes it a little easier to do these because it's almost like a tiny break between reps. Someday I'll be able to move down to a weight bench. Someday...
  • Cardio Intervals - 7 x 20:40 Intervals of Insanity - I raised the level (I think it's a resistance level) on the elliptical machine on Saturday and it actually took some of the work off my quads so I was able to go more insanely cardio-wise without feeling like my  quads were on fire. That was nice. I also burned more calories per minute, so I got to 100 calories about 20 seconds faster. Which was also nice. 
I spent most of yesterday wondering if I was going to feel up to working out tonight or if I was going to still be too sore from yesterday, but two nights of sleeping much of the night with everything all aligned properly (which helps more than I can say) has me doing pretty well. My upper back is still a little tight and I clearly worked the hell out of my quads, but I'm feeling pretty good today. 

Yay!! I really didn't want to miss a workout. 

That said, I'm kind of planning to take a day or two off from lifting between Phase 2 and Phase 3. I didn't when I moved into Phase 1 and I think it was a mistake. I think I could have really used the break to sort of integrate what I'd gotten from Phase 1. It's also possible that we're going hiking this Saturday (if the weather actually winds out as gorgeous as the forecast says), so we'd both skip lifting in exchange for a good, strenuous hike. :D 

Next workout is scheduled for tonight, because I've been so slow posting. I believe it is going to happen, though I reserve the right to bail if it feels bad or like I shouldn't be doing it. Goal for the workout: Go to the gym, do something (either Workout  D or some sweaty cardio time). Do it hard and with enthusiasm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment